Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields:

Southern Mississippi

© 2002, © 2013 by Paul Freeman. Revised 8/17/13.

____________________________________________________



Please consider a financial contribution to support the continued growth & operation of this site.



Hancock County Airport (added 8/17/13) - Raby Field / Pascagoulga Airport (1st location) / Jackson County Airport (revised 4/16/13)

Pascagoulga Airport (2nd location) / Jackson County Airport (revised 4/16/13) - Picayune Municipal Airport (1st location) / Alexandria Airport (added 8/12/13)

Picayune Municipal Airport (2nd location) / Picayune Pearl River County Airport (revised 8/12/13)

____________________________________________________



Hancock County Airport, Bay St. Louis, MS

30.31 North / 89.38 West (Northeast of New Orleans, LA)

A 4/6/52 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) depicted Hancock County Airport as having a single northwest/southeast unpaved runway.



Hancock County Airport was evidently established at some point between 1949-52,

as it was not yet depicted on the 1949 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of John Voss).



The earliest photo which has been located of this airfield was a 4/6/52 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).

It depicted Hancock County Airport as having a single northwest/southeast unpaved runway.



The 1956 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee)

depicted Hancock County Airport as a single unpaved northwest/southeast runway, labeled simply as “Airfield”,

with 2 small buildings on the southeast side.



Hancock County Airport, as depicted on the 1957 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



Hancock County Airport was still labeled on the 1963 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



The only aeronautical chart depiction which has been located of Hancock County Airport was on the 1964 Mobile Sectional Chart.

It depicted Hancock County as having a 2,200' unpaved runway.



A May 1964 NASA aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) depicted a few more small buildings on the southeast side of Hancock County Airport,

along with possibly one light aircraft.



A 2/19/92 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee)

depicted some larger buildings having been built on the southern end of the runway, along with a small building on the north end,

probably indicating the closure of the airport.



The 1997 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee)

still depicted a single unpaved northwest/southeast runway, labeled simply as “Airfield”.



A 10/29/12 aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) showed that the runway outline of the former Hancock County Airport remains recognizable.



The site of Hancock County Airport is located southeast of the intersection of Washington Street & Chapman Road.



Thanks to Dallam Oliver-Lee for pointing out this airfield.

____________________________________________________



Picayune Airport (1st location) / Alexandria Airport, Picayune, MS

30.52 North / 89.69 West (Northeast of New Orleans, LA)

A 5/12/52 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) depicted the first location of Picayune Airport as having 2 unpaved runways.



The first airport for the town of Picayune was located on the south side of the town.

The date of construction of Picayune Airport has not been determined.



The earliest photo which has been located of this airfield was a 5/12/52 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).

It depicted Picayune Airport as having 2 unpaved runways.



The earliest labeled depiction which has been located of Picayune Airport was on the 1953 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



The only photo which has been located showing the original Picayune Airport in operation was a 2/27/53 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee),

which showed one single-engine aircraft parked on the north end of a single unpaved north/south runway.

Some small hangars were located on the north side.



The original Picayune Airport was evidently renamed Alexandria Airport at some point between 1953-57,

as that is how it was labeled on the 1957 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



The original Picayune Airport (on the south side of the town) was evidently replaced at some point between 1957-58 by the new Picayune Municipal Airport on the west side of town,

as the 1958 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) only depicted the field on the west side.



An 11/30/11 aerial view appears to show that at least one hangar from the original Picayune Airport remains intact.



A circa 2011 aerial view looking east at a remaining hangar from the original Picayune Airport.



The site of the original Picayune Municipal Airport is located south of the intersection of Bruce Street & Hunt Street.



Thanks to Dallam Oliver-Lee for pointing out this airfield.

____________________________________________________



Picayune Municipal Airport (2nd location) (PCU) / Picayune Pearl River County Airport, Picayune, MS

30.52 North / 89.71 West (Northeast of New Orleans, LA)

A 2/24/54 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) depicted the paved runway of the Picayune Municipal Airport under construction,

as well as a possible predecessor set of 3 unpaved runways.



The Picayune Municipal Airport at this location was not depicted on the 1945 New Orleans Sectional Chart (courtesy of John Voss)

nor on a 5/12/52 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



The earliest photo which has been located of this airfield was a 2/24/54 USGS aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).

It depicted the paved northeast/southwest runway of the Picayune Municipal Airport under construction,

as well as a possible predecessor set of 3 unpaved runways located adjacent to the northwest side of the new paved runway.



The Picayune Municipal Airport at this location was still not depicted on the 1957 USGS topo map (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



The 1958 USGS topo map (from the University of Alabama Map Library)

depicted the "Picayune Landing Field" as having a single northeast/southwest paved runway,

with a ramp & a beacon at the northeast corner of the field.



The 1960 Jeppesen Airway Manual (courtesy of Chris Kennedy)

depicted Picayune Municipal as having a single 4,000' paved Runway 4/22,

along with a taxiway leading to a ramp on the northwest side of the runway with two buildings (hangars?).



The 1962 AOPA Airport Directory described the "City of Picayune" Airport

as having a single 4,000' concrete Runway 4/22.



The 1982 AOPA Airport Directory (courtesy of Ed Drury) described the "Picayune Pearl River County" Airport

as having a single 4,000' asphalt Runway 5/23,

and listed the operator as Ray's Flight Service.



The 1985 USGS topo map depicted Picayune Municipal Airport as having a single northeast/southwest runway.



As depicted in the 1996 USGS aerial photo,

Picayune Municipal consisted of a single paved 4,200' Runway 5/23,

which had a ramp with several hangars on the northeast corner of the field.

A total of at least 14 aircraft were visible outside in the above photo.

Another small hangar were situated on the south side of the runway.



David Sims recalled, “I was one of the last pilots to use this airfield.”



In 1999, a new & larger Picayune Municipal Airport was opened on the southeast side of the town,

and the original airfield was presumably closed at the same time.

The original airport was depicted as an abandoned airfield on the 2003 Sectional Chart.



David Sims reported in 2005, “The property is & has always been owned by the Picayune school district.

After it was closed, the airstrip was used by a company to store large metal structures.

It is currently being used by FEMA for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

FEMA has set up several trailers on the old airfield to serve as temporary housing for relief workers & survivors.”



A 2006 photo by Ron Jackson, looking northeast along the abandoned former Runway 5 at Picayune.

Note the closed-runway yellow “X” symbol still visible on the pavement.



A 2006 photo by Ron Jackson, looking west at the former hangars on the north side of the field at Picayune.



A circa 2006 aerial view looking west along the row of hangars & former runway of the original Piccayune Municipal Airport.



An 11/11/11 aerial view looking southwest shows the hangars & runway of the original Picayune Municipal Airport to remain intact.



The site of the original Picayune Municipal Airport is located southwest of the intersection of Palestine Road & Airport Road.



Thanks to Chris Kennedy for pointing out this airfield.

____________________________________________________

 

Raby Field / Pascagoula Airport (1st location) / Jackson County Airport, Pascagoula, MS

30.38 North / 88.53 West (Southwest of Mobile, AL)

Raby Field, as depicted on the 1934 Navy Aviation Chart V-242 (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).



Pascagoula's first airport was located adjacent to the northeast side of the town.

The date of construction of the field is unknown.

The earliest reference to the field which has been located

was on the 1934 Navy Aviation Chart V-242 (courtesy of Chris Kennedy),

which depicted it under the airfield's original name, Raby Field.



The location of Raby Field, from the 1934 Navy Aviation Chart V-242 (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).

 

The layout of Raby Field, from the 1934 Navy Aviation Chart V-242 (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).

It described Raby Field as consisting of a irregularly shaped sod landing area,

with the longest distance measuring 2,150'.

The field had no hangars or other facilities.



An aerial view looking southwest at Raby Field, from the 1934 Navy Aviation Chart V-242 (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).



The Airport Directory Company's 1938 Airport Directory (courtesy of Chris Kennedy)

described "Raby Auxiliary" Airport as being located 1 mile northeast of the center of the city,

and said that the field had a total of four 2,000' runways.



A 10/27/40 aerial view (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) depicted Raby Field as having 3 unpaved runways,

with an airport circle marking at the intersection.



The field had been renamed Pascagoula Airport

by the time of the 1941 Regional Aeronautical Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy),

which depicted it as a commercial/municipal airport.

 

At some point between 1941-45, the original Pascagoula Airport had apparently been renamed Jackson County Airport,

and a new Pascagoula Airport had been built a mile to the east,

as depicted on the 1945 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of John Voss).



The 1945 AAF Airfield Directory (courtesy of Scott Murdock) described the Jackson County Airport

as a 81 acre irregularly-shaped property containing 3 sod runways, the longest being the 2,146' north/south & east/west strips.

The field was said to have 2 hangars, the largest being a 100' x 80' brick & steel structure.

Jackson County Airport was described as being owned by Jackson County, and operated by private interests.



The original Pascagoula / Jackson County Airport was evidently closed at some point between 1945-49,

as only the new Pascagoula Airport was depicted on the 1949 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy),

labeled as the Jackson County Airport.



A 4/7/52 aerial view (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) showed a track had been built over the site of the original Pascagoula Airport,

but the outlines of the runways were still visible.



The runway outlines were still recognizable on a 2/13/55 aerial view (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



A November 1971 aerial photo (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee)

showed the site to have been redeveloped, with no recognizable remnants of the airfield appearing to remain.



A November 2011 aerial photo (courtesy of Oliver Dallam-Lee) showed no recognizable remnants of the original Jackson County Airport.



The original location of the Jackson County Airport is north of the the intersection of Route 90 & Vega Street.

____________________________________________________

 

Pascagoula Airport (2nd location) / Jackson County Airport (PGL), Pascagoula, MS

30.38 North / 88.49 West (Southwest of Mobile, AL)

A 4/27/43 aerial view looking north from the 1945 AAF Airfield Directory (courtesy of Scott Murdock)

depicted Pascagoula Municipal Airport as having 2 paved runways.



This airfield was apparently built at some point between 1941-43,

as it was not depicted on the 1941 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy) nor on the 1943 USGS topo map.

The earliest depiction which has been found of the Pascagoula Municipal Airport at this location

was a 4/27/43 aerial view from the 1945 AAF Airfield Directory (courtesy of Scott Murdock).

It depicted the field as having 2 perpendicular paved runways with parallel taxiways.



The earliest aeronautical chart depiction which has been located of this airfield

was on the 1945 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of John Voss).

It depicted "Pascagoula" as an auxiliary airfield.



The 1945 AAF Airfield Directory (courtesy of Scott Murdock) described the Pascagoula Municipal Airport

as a 660 acre square property containing 3 asphalt 4,500' runways, oriented north/south, northeast/southwest, and northwest/southeast.

The field was not said to have any hangars.

Pascagoula Municipal Airport was described as being owned by Jackson County, and operated by private interests.



At some point between 1945-49,

the new Pascagoula Airport apparently became renamed as Jackson County Airport,

after the original Pascagoula Airport was closed,

as that is how it was depicted on the 1949 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy).



A 4/7/52 aerial view (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) depicted Pascagoula Airport as having 3 paved runways & taxiways.

Two small hangars were on the north side of the field, near which was visible one single-engine aircraft.



A 2/13/55 aerial view (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee) showed that a 3rd small hangar had been added at some point between 1952-55.



The 1960 Jeppesen Airway Manual (courtesy of Chris Kennedy)

depicted the Jackson County Airport as having three 4,500' paved runways,

along with several buildings (hangars?) along the north side of the field.

 

The 1962 AOPA Airport Directory described the Jackson County Airport

as having three 4,500' bituminous runways: 18/36, 14/32, and 5/23.

The operator was listed as Robert Neal.



According to Scott Schuler, “This airport had scheduled airline service from Southern Airways

using Martin 404s, ending in the 1960s.

I have several items from Southern, including a route map, showing service there.

Southern, typical of that era, showed on the route maps little diagrams of the runway configurations of served airports.

An Official Airline Guide from November 1966 also shows service there with DC-3s

with non-stop service to Mobile, Gulfport, and Hattiesburg.”



What was by then known as the Jackson County Airport (in its second location),

as depicted on the 1964 Mobile Sectional Chart (courtesy of John Voss).



The last photo which has been located showing the Jackson County Airport still operating

was a November 1979 USGS fakse-color aerial view (courtesy of Dallam Oliver-Lee).



The 1980 USGS topo map depicted the Jackson County Airport as having 3 paved runways, taxiways,

and only 2 buildings (hangars?) on the north side of the field,

which was significantly less than the number of buildings depicted on the 1960 diagram.



In the 1982 AOPA Airport Directory (courtesy of Ed Drury), the runway configuration was still the same.

The operators was listed as General Aviation Corp., Gulf Coast Aircraft Sales, and Everon Air.

 

In a blatant example of pork-barrel politics,

Jackson County Airport was replaced at some point between 1982-98

by the brand-new "Trent Lott International Airport" just north of the city.

Jackson County Airport was presumably closed upon completion of the new airport.



In the 1994 USGS aerial photo, the airfield was essentially still complete,

with all 3 runways still largely intact, and several hangars still standing north of the ramp.

 

The 1998 World Aeronautical Chart depicted the site of Jackson County Airport as an abandoned airfield.



At some point after the airport's abandonment, the property was redesignated as the Bayou Casotte Industrial Park.



The 1994 USGS aerial photo was annotated by Bret Kepner to show the configuration of the former airfield site as of 2005,

with a large chemical plant having been constructed over the former terminal area on the north side of the field.



Bret Kepner visited the site of the Pacagoula Airport in February 2005.

He reported: “A huge new chemical plant now occupies most of the northern end of the property

above the train tracks which were built across the oldest runway.

As can be seen. the surface is really, really bad.

There was no access to the other runways, which may or may not even be there, anyway.”



 A February 2005 photo by Bret Kepner looking north along former Runway 18/36, toward the new chemical plant.



A February 2005 photo by Bret Kepner looking south along former Runway 18/36, toward its intersection with former Runway 5/23.



An 11/11/11 aerial photo showed that the majority of the former airport property has been covered by a surface-mining quarry, filled with water.

Portions of several runways still remain intact on the west & north sides.



____________________________________________________

 

____________________________________________________